.

.
This blog documents the racing, training, & riding experiences of the participants of PWP

Monday, May 20, 2013

UCI Para-Cycling Open, Greenville, SC April 20-21

When Kim asked if I wanted to do some road racing with her this year, I was thinking that our first event would be Nationals, in Madison, WI in July, so we'd have plenty of time to practice.  But when she asked if I'd like to do this event, which was a UCI selection for World Cup races, and would be the same course as the 2014 World Championships, of course I was game!  It just meant we wouldn't have a lot of practice beforehand, and the race itself would be the practice.

In Para events, visually impaired people compete on a tandem, with a sighted pilot.  We are a separate category, competing at the same events as other individuals with disabilities.

Traveling as a tandem team is no small amount of coordination, but the race venue could not have been easier to deal with.  The hotel was basically on the start of the course.  There was a Whole Foods across the street plus lots of restaurants.  It made everything so easy.

We did a Time Trial on Saturday, and a Road Race on Sunday.  The course for the RR was an extended version of the TT course.  It was technical, and while we struggled with it, we felt like we made significant improvements every lap we did.

The weather was awesome; for contrast, here's a pic of Kim and I riding in shorts and jerseys:


And here's what Jason and the kids were doing while I was away:


Kim and I gained a ton of valuable experience, which was our goal for the weekend.  Here's us hanging out with some other tandem teams and individual para athletes, some of which are olympians.  It was also cool to see our Chicago friends Joe Berenyi and Greta Neimanas compete after their London Olympics experience.  

L-R  Me, Kim, Greta Neimanas (Chicagoan/Olympian) Clark Rachfal (Olympian) Kara Vatthauer,  Mackenzie Woodring(Kara's Pilot), Mackenzie's partner, Dave Swanson (Clark's Pilot), Alison Jones (multiple Olympian in both Downhill Skiing and Cycling) and a friend.  

11 comments:

  1. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”. electric bikes​

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated. electric bikes nz​

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the dear information you offer in your articles. I'm able to bookmark your site and show the kids check out up here generally. Im fairly positive theyre likely to be informed a great deal of new stuff here than anyone else! electric bikes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Likes considerably make improvements to the level of popularity of your web page and when using the right quantity count; quite a few individuals are going to be drawn to your account. The firms which offer these companies, will give you with non-automated or robotic likes and supply you with genuine Instagram likes. likes on instagram The nice variable regarding this may be the actuality they can be genuinely instantly despatched on your account which implies you would not have to attend that considerably. And when you're a business enterprise, rising your Instagram likes will probably be advantageous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece of work, I was search about this article and found your website by google, learned a lot, now i'm a bit clear. I've bookmark your site and also add rss. baby care products | bakery products | baking item products

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this post while searching for information about your blog-related research ... It's a good post .. keep posting and updating information. Beer Gift Baskets

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first visit this site and try to look what this site talks about I was really amazed . You could have get new important and interesting topic to be discuss. Really feel great that I visit this site. Good cheap watches

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is also a very good post which I really enjoy reading. It is not everyday that I have the possibility to see something like this.Fundraising platforms India

    ReplyDelete
  9. The clean house might help in the actual reduction associated with personal tension. Busy schedules could possibly get chaotic as the list of home cleaning chores may grow every day. The stress of having all your home cleaning done can in fact make your body ill. maid service in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bedbugs are going after you, so I plan my attack around a central base. Just like war. Its me and my client vs. the Bedbugs. They can hide to many places to try and find them all. But...we know they will get hungry and come out. Especially if a food source is near. So that's where I start the plan. I kill all easy to find Bed Bugs and take out the common and obvious locations. Prime Business Centre - Jumeirah Village Circle UAE Tell #: 044539780 / +971 55 112 4624 pest control company dubai


    ReplyDelete
  11. Packing up boxes for a house move always take longer than anyone expects so start doing this as soon as you possibly can. There are plenty of household and personal items that we don't use on a regular basis that could be packed early. Just some of the items that can be packed in advance are: books, DVD/CD collections, children's toys, seasonal items such as gardening tools  packaging services

    ReplyDelete