.

.
This blog documents the racing, training, & riding experiences of the participants of PWP

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bike Messenger Career Day?

My Daughter Lucinda is in Kindergarten. She came home from school the other day and asked if I had ever been a bike messenger. I said yes, and why was she wondering? She said they were studying bike messengers in school and reading stories about them and singing songs about them. ????????????????????????? The next day at pick up Lucinda's awesome teacher Miss Conte asked me if I would come to class and talk about my days as a bike messenger.

Turns out they were studying alternative methods of transportation and learning about getting around by bike; which is cool. But glamorizing being a bike messenger? Not to be hypocritical, but something about that didn't quite sit well with me.

But since I'm not sure how much longer Lucinda is going to think it's super cool for mom to come to school, I dug out some Swobo knickers and just had fun with it. The kids were really into it. I brought a bike, an inner tube, a u-lock, a clipboard and a radio. Like real messengers, they loved the radio the best. (I knew those race radios would come in handy this year!) You can see in the picture how the kids put pencils in their crayon boxes and made pretend radios.

I tried to emphasize how fun it was to ride around on bikes and that being a bike messenger is a dangerous job, but fun, and a good way to "earn money for college" :)
Bike messenger song:

Bike messenger story:

3 comments:

  1. Did you hear that song? The Cuttin' Cruiser may need to drop the creepy ice cream song and get this on a loop. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calvin Curbhopper then slowly rolls back.
    His mind still fresh from a day full of crap.

    If only he spent all day on facebook and twitter.
    Perhaps that would keep him from turning so bitter.

    Time to go home for some ramen and cheap beer.
    Another night wishing, "THIS is my last year"...

    ----

    Just so you know, this whole thing is amazing.

    ReplyDelete